Monday, September 29, 2008

Hip-Hop gospel

I am sitting in my patient's room; he is intubated and sedated, but his family brought in a bunch of CDs of modern gospel music and I like to play music or movies for my patients. The CD I have playing right now is WOW gospel 2007. Now, when I think of gospel, I think, you know, like traditional gospel. But this is just like stuff you hear on hip-hop and R&B stations, and you can barely tell what they are saying, and when you can, it is so loosely based on gospel themes that I would be hard-pressed to identify it as Christ-centered music. It reminds me a lot of the new Christian rock music, with lyrics like "I just want to get close to you, oooohh yeah I don't want to let you go" and stuff. I guess, though, that is you like that style of music and you are gonna listen to it anyway, you might as well be absorbing somewhat positive themes.

I find that in my old age, I am getting more conservative about stuff, especially regarding clothing for young girls. I think it is totally gross the way young girls are dressing like mini-whores. Granted, I used to bring an alternate outfit in my school bag and change at my friend's house before loading on the bus, and change back when I got off the bus. But I hardly think I dressed whorish. I am sure I made some awful clothing choices but not in that regard. I remember I had a couple outfits that I would rotate all the time, including a black above-the-knee skirt (scandalous) and this grey tunic top that really accentuated the bosoms, but was unattractive in every other way.

Man... my 10-year reunion is coming up. I am considering going, but am alse terrified of the thought. Plus, is it worth it to drive up to Cape Cod and spend all that dough for a probably-lame reunion at the conference hall at the Holiday Inn in Hyannis? James, are you going?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not going. There are only 3 or 4 people I liked from HS, and I already talk to them :)
I'm saving my money for New York on my birthday.

Adina said...

I, for one, can't for the life of me understand why people would want to revisit their high school years. It's such a painful and awkward time for most people.

Is it really at the Holiday Inn in Hyannis? If so, that cracks me up!

Post another poll!

Anonymous said...

I'm skipping out on mine! My friend has a murder mystery at her father-in-law's mansion and I don't want to miss out. Sadly, I didn't lose the weight I wanted to before the event. I don't want to be the guy who stayed fat.

Steph, I don't think you've become so conservative. I think the proliferation of dip-shit parents who let their kids do as they please and wear those clothes has tripled since we were in high school.

Anonymous said...

Holy cow you are such a baby. I just surpassed 23 years. In 2 years it will be my 25TH! Man I feel old.

I haven't been to 1 reunion. And I think we've only had 1. I have no desire to see most of the people I graduated with. And the ones I do, I could contact their parents and get in touch with them that way.

I completely agree on the way girls dress. My daughter is pretty good. Her school wouldn't let her get away with it anyway.

I'm loving your blog!