Tuesday, September 15, 2009

I have a past and a family!

What to say. I met my family for the first time in 11 years this weekend. I was expecting a great deal of tension and weirdness but actually things have so far melted into place. Adina and I have so far spent two days with them and we are headed into a third day today for a latke extravaganza. I had not cried until Sunday, when my sister Danika and I had a lengthy walk'n'talk. I think it was weirdest for me to see her, since we had had no contact with each other since I left. She said she did not remember me really, which was hard to hear. I like her though. She seems reserved, although I totally get the need to keep yourself reserved in the presence of a dominating personality. I definitely was reserved at home, and I think that's why I went a little crazy at the end of high school and the start of college (see: smoking pot, pumpkin burning, burnt peep curtain, etc.). I am really excited to get to know her better and I hope she wants to learn things about me as well.

I have had countless dreams about meeting her over the past decade, most of which involve a variation on that awful theme of having to go back to high school to complete some class or another that I forgot to take. In those dreams, I disrupt classroom after classroom looking for her, but since I don't know what she looks like, I cannot find her. Two months ago, I never would have imagined that Adina and I would be picking her up from school and hanging out, all with the blessing of mom and Pete. I feel like I am floating in a dream.

I can't wait to post pictures of some of Pete's artwork that he gave Adina and me. It is really awesome and I hope he starts to sell it on Etsy.com.

Anyone want to help me determine the difference between a creed and a credo? Thanks!

-- Posted from my iPhone

2 comments:

Adina said...

I am so glad that things have worked out as well as they have. I hope we can continue on this path and work towards having a healthy relationship with your family. It has been entertaining and interesting for me to see you interacting with them.


Love you, monkey.

Unknown said...

glad to see you blogging again. Good to hear you're reconnecting with your family too. I'm also heading for my first family reunion since coming out. As for creed vs credo, a creed is either a statement of belief or an organized system of belief. For example, the teachings of Christ as a whole would be considered the Christian creed. As would a statement of the golden rule. Credo is the latin of creed, but is colloquially used mostly for the single statement of faith or belief, such as I believe that all men and women are created equal.

Adam